And just like that, we are here! Our first Monday of 2022, done and dusted. There is always so much hubbub, apprehension, expectation around new years…and then they arrive – usually quietly! – and we’re back to our usual routines.
The language of resolutions and “new year, new me” is thankfully going out of style. The idea that you need to reinvent yourself at the beginning of a new year is, frankly, exhausting, and can lead to a lot of anxiety.
The truth is, everything you need, everything you want, everything you dream is possible. The tools to attain these things are already within you. Our bodies and brains are an incredible resource of wellbeing and potential. We have the ability to expand into whatever shape, whichever direction we want to go in. Truthfully, you are limitless. All we have to do is activate these wellsprings that live inside us.
Sounds great, right? But how the 🤬 do we do that?? It may surprise you, but taking care of yourself and your needs come in at top of the list. Taking care of your body and mind first empowers your creativity, your motivation, and your potential. Fortunately, taking care of ourselves is basic. It doesn’t have to cost money, it doesn’t require a complete overhaul. It’s things you already know. Look at this list:
- Get good sleep. This is of the utmost importance!! Here’s how to develop your routine.
- Walk everyday. It just doesn’t get any simpler. Why is it the best? Here are a few reasons.
- “Eat food, not too much, mostly plants,” says food author and guru Michael Pollan. It’s an easy mantra to remember and will keep you on track for eating a nutritious, well-balanced diet.
- Be kind to yourself. And others. Notice what we did there? Self-kindness is paramount, and has to come first. If you’re not kind to yourself, you’re not equipped to be kind to others. Being kind to ourselves can be so challenging, we get it. But try thinking one positive thought about yourself each day. Maybe call it to mind early in the morning, and then reinforce it throughout the day. Watch your confidence – and your kindness – build.
- Monitor your mental health, get help whenever you feel like you need it. Don’t hesitate. There are many resources available to you, whether you can afford care or not. It’s important to remember you are not alone, and you can surmount the pain you may be in.
- Take time for yourself. Maybe it’s just 10 quiet minutes a day (maybe it’s 5!!), maybe it’s a journal, maybe it’s listening to some soft music. Allow yourself space to let your mind wander, to tune in to how you’re feeling, and to articulate what is true to you.
How about taking on a new challenge? New Year, Limitless You. Let’s check back at the end of the year to see what you grew in 2022. We’re rooting for you!